Friday, April 6, 2007

Burial arrangments

I looked out my window this morning to see if the garbage had been picked up, and I saw a small pile of fur at the edge of my driveway. A poor little squirrel has expired. I will spare you the photo. Here's the thing, if it were anywhere close to garbage day I would pick him up with a shovel, put in him a plastic bag and toss him in the trash. But garbage day was today so now he will be around for a week. I think I'll call the city department and see if I can dispose of him there. Otherwise I think I have to keep him in the garbage until next week, thank goodness it turned cold again.

Of course all of this makes me think of the book I just read for book club;
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. It is a fascinating book about what the different choices are for bodies after death. It really helped me to clarify what I would want done (donated to science) and what I don't want (burial, don't see the point). Such a personal decision and so hard to find concise information about it.

2 comments:

h said...

hee hee...I forgot about the dead squirrel! When I pass I want any organs that can be used to be donated and after that I want to be cremated. I haven't yet decided where I want my ashes spread - I certainly don't want them in an urn on someone's mantle!

Lesley said...

You are right donate organs, I wounder if I can still be of use to science after the take what ever organs they can use.
I have heard the arguement that organ donation should be the default unless you are carrying a card saying not to, what do you think?