Thursday, April 5, 2007

Committed

As I write this I am think of my commitment issues. Or if I should be committed. To my life, to my work, to a nut house. I am thinking of actions I have committed, or haven't, and which I am less happy about. I'm have certainly not been committed to this blog and for that I feel shame. I do love reading all of yours though so please, keep writing.
This weekend I made a commitment to being Isabelle's owner. I started fostering her late September last year, so on her 6 month anniversary I decided I'm sick of spending almost every Saturday at a pet store trying to get rid of her, when she hates to go, hates to be there, and I do too. Only 3 people have shown real interest that I recall, and they all had small children. That would not be a great situation for Isabelle, or rather for the children, as she likes to be rather violent when she plays or is done being played with, petted, you are within reach of her claws... And while my parents thought me getting scratched up by the cat when I was 2 and played too hard was a good way for me to learn, parents aren't as big on having scarred children anymore. So she's mine. I really love her. She's great company, but not all over me, and if I leave for a couple days she's fine on her own, but really happy to see me when I get back. But I think about the fact that I may have her until I'm 50, and that is a really old age to be thinking about, I have enough trouble with 31. So I'm done fostering I think. I might consider kittens again but not for a while, and I don't think Isabelle will put up with it very well, and it's her house too. I do highly recommend it if you are thinking about getting a pet or have a pet that would tolerate a guest. It was a great way to decide if I was ready, what I really wanted (I always thought I wanted a big dog, but turns out, not by myself.) and it was a lot of fun. The commitment on the weekend gets old after a while, but I got to meet a great group of people too.
[edited]
I am committed 100% to the Red Wings. How sad is that? In the words of the kid in Fever Pitch, "Sure you love the Red [Wings], but have they ever loved you back?" Sadly, no. Can I get credit that I go to almost all the games with my mom or brother so it is really quality family time? No? Well, I tried.

I think I should go do something useful, which at this point is take out the garbage, make dinner, then go buy myself a vacuum. I think I will buy this one, I want a powerful small one that is good for picking up hair (mine and Izzy's) and getting the stairs. I have an upright and a little Sw!ffer Sweeper that I like, but I really want the Dys0n for pets, but that seems so overpriced and a silly thing to get at this point. I really want to commit to being a better homemaker, I kind of stink at it. I so admire how nice some people keep there homes, but I never seem to build the habit. I slowly am getting better though so I have hope.

4 comments:

YGS said...

Hugs and kisses from me Scott, Yeimy and Bailey, whom by the way, you have to meet soon!

h said...

Love you! :) Looking forward to watching a cheesy movie this weekend and drinking a frozen coke with you!

Erika said...

good to hear from you.

i did a really dumb thing at work recently too. i usually don't and I'm way harsh on the people who i deem boneheads at work... after my dumb move i was really hard on myself until i decided that maybe i just need to go easier on the other work boneheads. :)

take care

Andrea said...

YEAH! You're keeping Isabelle...that's great news! Having a cat is awesome! I love Buddy, and he's pretty much the same way. I had to drive from Ann Arbor to Royal Oak back to Ann Arbor to pick him up last week while Matt was out of town, but that's okay. It's a good thing!